League of Legends champions will become cheaper for players to acquire. Riot August and Riot BarackProbama took to a blog post to announce the changes.
Riot August, the lead champion designer shared some more context surrounding the news:
“This new structure still uses the age of a champion but is no longer directly tied to champion releases. As our strategy has shifted from the early days of shipping a character every other patch to a cadence that allowed us to better plan around champions, we felt that it was time to change the way we approach price reductions. We’re now focusing on how many seasons the champion has seen rather than how many champions have released since.”
In addition, champion prices will not only be determined by how many seasons the champion has been out but also by their tier of difficulty. Below you can find all the tiers champions will be broken down into after the changes scheduled for 13.5. It should be noted that there will be small exceptions. For example champions like Singed, Kayle, Twisted Fate, and Ryze will see an increase in price (4800 BE but the same RP).
- 450 BE / 260 RP – Champions that are awesome for new players. These have a strong fantasy and an approachable kit that our data suggests helps folks find success early. Examples include Malphite, Miss Fortune, and Yuumi.
- 1350 BE / 585 RP – Champions that are a bit more complex than the lower tier, but still approachable for interested folks. These will have more nuanced skill checks in their play patterns, but maintain reasonable skill floors and have proven to be fan favorites. Examples include Yasuo, Lucian, and Sett.
- 3150 BE / 790 RP – Champions that have a larger degree of difficulty or specialization in their play. These will often have steeper learning curves to climb before one sees consistent success with them. Examples include LeBlanc, Shaco, and Yorick.
- 4444 BE / 880 RP – Only perfection and beauty are allowed at this tier. HAHAHAHA.
- 4800 BE / 880 RP – The majority of the roster will live here.
- 6300 BE / 975 RP – Champions that have come out in the past two seasons, after which they will move to the tier above after the next season starts.
- 7800 BE / 975 RP – Champions that have come out in the past week.
These upcoming changes will drastically reduce the blue essence and RP needed to unlock the whole League of Legends champion roster – by 140,606 BE and 14,905 RP to be exact! Even more so, Riot is planning to update their champion bundles aiming to increase their cost effectiveness for new players looking to get started.
How do you feel about League of Legends champions becoming cheaper?
For more news about League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, Valorant, Legends of Runeterra, updates, and upcoming events, stay tuned to The Rift Crown.